|Production||1999 – present|
|Class||Mid-size crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, four wheel drive|
The BMW X5 is a luxury crossover SUV introduced in 1999 as the first generation E53. It was BMW's first SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) also known as "Four-by-Four" (4x4) in the UK. It features all-wheel drive which is branded as the "X" drive system and is available with either manual or automatic transmission. The second generation X5, known as the E70, was launched in 2006, with the first M version announced in 2009.
BMW describes the X5 as a Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV) rather than an SUV, to emphasize its on-road ability despite its size. Like the Lexus RX 300 and Mercedes M-Class, the X5 heralded the shift from light truck-based body-on-frame SUVs to crossovers underpinned by unibody car platforms that would come to fruition in the late 2000s.
X5s are manufactured in Greer, South Carolina at the Spartanburg BMW plant and in Mexico at the BMW de México Toluca plant. Since July 2009, some assembly operations are also performed in Kaliningrad, Russia by Avtotor.
On August 31 2011 the fuel filter heater of 2,120 units, was recalled due to a defect that can cause fire and battery drainage, even while the vehicle is non operational
E53 First generation (1999-2006)
Greer, South Carolina, United States (BMW US Mfg. Co.)|
Toluca, Mexico (BMW de México)
3.0 L 225 hp I6|
4.4 L 286 HP (2000–2003) 315 HP (2004–2006) hp V8
4.6 L 347 hp V8
4.8 L 355 hp V8
3.0 L 193/218 hp I6 Diesel
|Wheelbase||111.0 in (2,819 mm)|
|Length||183.7 in (4,666 mm)|
|Width||73.7 in (1,872 mm)|
2000–2003 V8: 67.2 in (1,707 mm)|
2001–2003 I6: 67.5 in (1,715 mm)
2004–2006 V8 4.8I: 67.9 in (1,725 mm)
2004–2006 I6: 69.3 in (1,760 mm)
BMW 5 Series|
The E53 was developed at a time when BMW owned Land Rover and benefitted from Land Rover technology. It shared components with the Land Rover Range Rover HSE model; specifically the Hill Descent System and Off Road Engine Management system and also the BMW E39 5-series; specifically the engine and electronic system. The entire in car entertainment system (Radio Function, Navigation System, Television and Telecommunications systems, and a very flexible automotive computer system) are identical. As a result the earlier X5 models can be upgraded with newer BMW technologies (e.g. Bluetooth phone connectivity).
E70 Second generation (2006-2013)
|Model years||2006 – 2013|
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States (BMW US Mfg. Co.)|
Toluca, Mexico (BMW de México) Kaliningrad, Russia (Avtotor)
3.0 L 272 hp I6|
3.0 L 306 hp I6 Single Turbo
3.0 L 265 hp Diesel TT I6
4.8 L 355 hp V8
4.4 L 555 hp V8 Twin Turbo
|Transmission||6-speed automatic; 8-speed Prundletronic|
|Wheelbase||2,933 mm (115.5 in)|
|Length||4,860 mm (191.3 in)|
|Width||1,933 mm (76.1 in)|
2006–2008: 1,766 mm (69.5 in)|
2009–: 1,776 mm (69.9 in)
The BMW E70 is the second generation X5 Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). It replaced the BMW X5 (E53) in November 2006. The second generation X5 features many new technological advancements including BMW's iDrive system as standard equipment and, for the first time in a BMW, an optional third row seat. This generation incorporates safety innovations for the crossover segment, such as a unique rear framing section to protect 3rd row occupants from injury due to an impact.
- REDIRECT Template:Citation needed
The branding for the X5 from late 2008 onwards follows the new BMW nomenclature scheme, for example the X5 3.0d is now called the X5 xDrive35d, and the 4.8i is called the X5 xDrive48i. The BMW X5 M is a high performance model of the X5 and was introduced to the press at the New York Auto Show in April 2009, and started appearing in BMW dealerships in September 2009.The BMW M features the first M Power V-8 Turbo, 555 hp (414 kW) and 500 lb·ft (680 N·m) of torque, and comes with M Dynamic Performance Control for impressive handling.
In 2009, the xDrive35d diesel engine variant of the X5 was made available for sale in Canada and the United States, along with the BMW 335d sedan.
The X5 was revised for the 2011 year featuring new front bumper and air intakes as well as a variety of minor cosmetic changes. For the gasoline-powered X5 models, the naturally aspirated engines (N52 straight-6, N62 V8) were replaced by turbocharged engines (N55 single-turbo straight-6, N63 twin-turbo V8) which will also be mated to 8-speed automatic transmissions. The xDrive35d received the same exterior changes as the rest of the lineup but otherwise no other updates.
Production and sales
|Calendar year||Total Production (X5M)||US sales|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "BMW X5 Security: Your body-guard Made-In-Mexico". Autoarabia.org. http://www.autoarabia.org/articles/255/BMW%20X5%20Security:%20Your%20body-guard%20Made-In-Mexico. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "Bwm recall x5". 2011-08-30. http://www.impre.com/la-gente-dice/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978869340.
- ↑ "Online BMW Parts Catalog". Realoem.com. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=P&series=E53&body=SAV&model=X5+4.4i&zone=ECE&arch=0. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- ↑ Stephen Pullen. British Leyland. Heritage Commercials. ISBN 978-1-906167-69-1.
- ↑ "Bimmernav". Bimmernav. http://www.bimmernav.com/. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- ↑ "Группа компаний Автотор :: Автомобили BMW" (in Russian). Avtotor.ru. http://www.avtotor.ru/bmw/. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- ↑ Ulrich, Lawrence (2009-05-24). "Behind the Wheel - 2009 BMW 335d and X5 xDrive 35d - A Dose of Diesel Medicine Without the Nasty Aftertaste". NYTimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/automobiles/autoreviews/10bmw.html?pagewanted=all. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ↑ "2011 BMW X5 Gets All Turbo Engines, $46,675 Base Price | AutoGuide.com News". Autoguide.com. 2010-02-06. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/02/2011-bmw-x5-gets-all-turbo-engines-46675-base-price.html. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ↑ "BMW Delivers Strongest Sales Success Ever in 2000. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. 2001-01-03. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/BMW+Delivers+Strongest+Sales+Success+Ever+in+2000.-a068677785. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 http://www.autointell.com/european_companies/BMW/business-figures/BMW-business-figures-1997-2006-WB.xls
- ↑ "2003 BMW X5 Reviews by Cars.com Experts and Consumers". Cars.com. http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=5&modelid=3197&year=2003§ion=reviews. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "2003 BMW X5 Overview". Autos.aol.com. http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-X5-2003/overview. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "BMW Group Shatters All Past Annual Sales Records in 2004". Theautochannel.com. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/01/04/313805.html. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "BMW Group Sets All-Time Annual Sales Record, Highest Sales Month Ever in 2005". Theautochannel.com. 2006-01-04. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/04/204975.html. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "BMW Group Reports 2006 - Strongest Year Ever". Theautochannel.com. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/03/032847.html. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "Annual Report 2007". BMW Group. http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2007/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2007/zahlen_und_fakten_2007/marke_bmw.html. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "BMW Group U.S. Division Reports December Sales". Reuters. 2009-01-05. http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS171307+05-Jan-2009+PRN20090105. Retrieved 2009-09-25.
- ↑ "Annual Report 2008". BMW Group. http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2008/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2008/zahlen_und_fakten_2008/marke_bmw.html. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "Annual Report 2009". BMW Group. http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2009/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/annualreport2009/zahlen_und_fakten_2009/marke_bmw.html. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "BMW Group". BMW Group. http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?../0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/home/home.html&source=overview. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "BMW M-series sales rise 14.2 percent to 16,967 cars in 2010". MotorwayAmerica. 2011-02-03. http://www.motorwayamerica.com/news/bmw-m-series-sales-rise-142-percent-16967-cars-2010. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "BMW Group U.S. Reports December 2010 Sales - WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Jan. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/". New Jersey: Prnewswire.com. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bmw-group-us-reports-december-2010-sales-112885809.html. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- ↑ "BMW Group Achieves Second Best Sales Year Ever in the U.S. - WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Jan. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/". New Jersey: Prnewswire.com. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bmw-group-achieves-second-best-sales-year-ever-in-the-us-136741643.html. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- Official website
- BMW X5 Review on Edmunds.com
- Technical Diagrams and BMW Parts Online on penskeparts.com
|« previous — BMW road car timeline, 1980s–present|
|Small family||3 Compact||E36/5||E46/5|
|1 Series||E81 / E82 / E87 / E88||F20|
|Compact exec||3 Series||E21||E30||E36||E46||E90 / E91 / E92 / E93||F30|
|Executive||5 Series||E12||E28||E34||E39||E60 / E61||F10 / F11|
|Luxury Coupé||6 Series||E24||E63 / E64||F12 / F13|
|Luxury||7 Series||E23||E32||E38||E65 / E66 / E67 / E68||F01 / F02 / F03 / F04|
|Roadster||Z Series||E30 (Z1)||E36/7 & E36/8 (Z3)||E85 / E86 (Z4)||E89 (Z4)|
|M||1 Series M Coupe||E82 M|
|M3||E30 M3||E36 M3||E46 M3||E90/92/93 M3|
|M5||E28 M5||E34 M5||E39 M5||E60/61 M5||F10 M5|
|M6||E24 M635CSi/"M6"||E63/64 M6||F12/13 M6|
|M Roadster||E36/7 (Z3) M||E85 (Z4) M|
|M Coupé||E36/8 M Coupé||E86 M Coupé|
|Supercar/GT||E26 (M1)||E31 (8 series)||E52 (Z8)|
|X6||E71 / E72|
|Progressive Activity||5 GT||F07|