|2003-06 Toyota Avanza|
Astra Daihatsu (Indonesia) |
Perodua Manufacturing Sdn. Bhd (Malaysia)
FAW Jilin (China)
FAW Senya M80 (China)
FAW Senya S80 (China)
|Assembly||North Jakarta, Indonesia|
|Body style||5-door MPV|
1.0 L I3 VVT-i 
1.3 L I4 VVT-i
1.5 L I4 VVT-i
|Wheelbase||2,655 mm (104.5 in)|
|Length||4,120 mm (162.2 in)|
|Width||1,630 mm (64.2 in)|
|Height||1,695 mm (66.7 in)|
|Curb weight||1,130 kg (2,491 lb)|
The Toyota Avanza is a mini MPV designed by Daihatsu. It is produced in Indonesia and also assembled contract assembled in Malaysia (under Perodua). Daihatsu designed and manufacturer the vehicle, which is then sold by both Daihatsu and Toyota under Xenia and Avanza name plate respectively. Daihatsu supplies the vehicle to Toyota under a consigned production and OEM manufacturing agreement. . The car was launched at the Gaikindo Auto Expo in 2003 and sold over 100,000 units that year. The name "Avanza" was taken from the Italian word avanzato, which means "advance".
The Avanza is a new model developed as an entry-level MPV. It's spiritual predecessor was the Toyota Kijang, whose model program has since been split to two different models (the other being the larger, more expensive Toyota Innova) to expand Toyota's reach in the MPV sector.
In addition to Indonesia and Malaysia, the Avanza is sold in Brunei, Bangladesh, Egypt, Lebanon, Pakistan, Philippines, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand. A rebadged version of the car is sold in China under the FAW badge.
In October 2011, Avanza-Xenia has been sold 1 million unit, including 113,000 export unit.
The model is a five-door MPV with a FR layout. It features a 1.3-litre K3-VE gasoline inline-four engine with a maximum output of 67 kW (92 PS) at 6000 rpm, and a 1.5-litre SZ-VE gasoline engine that produces 80 kW (109 PS) at 6000 rpm.
The Avanza was restyled near the end of the third quarter of 2006 with a new grille, new bumpers, a new interior, and new front and rear lamps. The 2006 model New Avanza S also has a new engine, a 1.5-litre 16-valve DOHC VVT-i gasoline engine (similar to the Toyota Rush) along with the new ABS braking system.
In the Philippines, the Avanza has been offered since 2006 with 2 trim levels: a 'J' line with a 1.3 I3 engine, and having no power windows and locks, and only available with a manual transmission, while the 'G' line has a 1.5 engine, power features mated to a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic transmission. In 2008, the J line was made available without the third row seat. This particular line is popularly used as metered taxicabs in the Philippines; although it is often mistaken as an end-to-end passenger vehicle, like its Tamaraw FX (Kijang) and Revo ancestors.Template:Citation needed
The Avanza was updated in 2008 with a new ceiling with grooves to improve airflow to the rear and a new interior colour scheme.
The Avanza's twin model is the Daihatsu Xenia, powered by the 1.3-litre EFI similar to the Avanza's, and a three-cylinder 1.0-litre with power and torque rating at 63 PS (46 kW; 62 hp) at 5600 rpm and 92 N·m (68 lb·ft) at 3600 rpm.
In China, Daihatsu together with First Automobile Works (FAW) launch the Xenia on 21 June 2007. Production in China is carried out at FAW Jilin Auto. The Daihatsu Xenia uses the 1.3 and 1.5-litre EFI engines similar to the Avanza's.
Currently, the Xenia is sold in Indonesia and China only.
- 15" wheels (On 1.5 models)
- 14" wheels (On 1.3 models)
- 13" wheels (On 1.0 models)
- 4-speaker audio system with radio and CD playback
- 50:50 folding 2nd row seats
- 100:0 folding 3rd row seats
- MacPherson Strut Suspension
- Electronically controlled side mirrors
- All windows equipped with power windows
- Warning lights on information meters for various safety and engine systems
- Air-conditioning with rear blower
- Global Outstanding Assessment (GOA) body
- Seat Belts
- Alarm system with engine immobliser, siren, cabin sensors, and auto door locks
- Foglamps and high-mount stop light
- Reverse sensors
Existing on 1.5 Only
- Chromed Front Grille, door handles, backdoor garnish, shift bang
- Anti Brake Locking System (ABS) 
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) (not in All Country)
- 4-spoke Urethane Steering Wheel
- SRS Airbags (not in All Countries)
Aerokit package (Available for 1.3 and 1.5)
- Front and rear bumper spoiler
- Side Skirting
- Muffler cutter
- Muffler cutter
- Center Console box
Second Generation (2011-present)
The all-new 2012 Avanza with increased dimensions and a new "fun" design has also been launched in the Philippines this January 13, 2012. The all-new Avanza's design gives it a more upscale, high-tech look than that of its plebeian-looking predecessor.
Up front, the Avanza gets a bolder bumper, adventurously-designed headlights and a grille that echoes the double-tier design used by its stabemates. As you step around it, you'll notice the more pronounced fender flares which gives it a very distinct character line. As you reach the rear, you'll discover that the utilitarian-look of the previous-generation model has been replaced with a more sophisticated one thanks to the styling of the taillights that curves down to the rear quarter panels and the design of the rear window.
It's the interior, however, that has shown the most dramatic improvement as gone is the 1980s-like feel with the hard plastic and exposed sheet metal above the door panels. Now, the all-new Avanza's interior is arguably at par with most, if not all, of the subcompact offerings in the market, particularly with the high-end G variant with its silver-like trim on the steering wheel, aircon vents, door panel, transmission and integrated audio system. The all-new Avanza's second- and third-row passengers are also seated in comfort thanks to the inclusion of overhead aircon vents above the second row.
Though the same 1.3- and 1.5-liter engines of the previous-generation Avanza carries on in the all-new model, Toyota has tweaked it to further improve its fuel consumption to 16km/L for the 1.5-liter model. Also soldiering on are the same five-speed manual and four-speed automatic transmissions of its predecessor.
Toyota has also heeded the call of its fans and customers who didn't want the barebones 1.3-liter J variant but didn't want to pay the price being commanded by the range-topping 1.5-liter G variant by now offering the mid-range 1.3-liter E variant. From what we've seen, besides the smaller displacement engine, the only difference between the E and G variants are the 2-DIN head unit in place of the integrated audio system, the silver trim, the front foglamps and the color-keyed front grille instead of the chromed one.
The all-new Avanza is now available at the following prices:
1.3-liter J (MT) at P620,000
1.3-liter E (MT) at P703,000
1.3-liter E (AT) at P743,000
1.5-liter G (MT) at P828,000
1.5-liter G (AT) at P868,000
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Tycho" (2010-05-05). "Beijing Auto Show 2010: FAW-Jilin Senya S80 SUV". TheTycho.com. http://www.thetycho.com/beijing-auto-show-2010-faw-jilin-senya-s80-suv/. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- ↑ 于声远 (Yu Sheng-Yuan) (2009-09-03). "售价5.49-7.79万元 一汽森雅M80上市". Autohome.com.cn. http://www.autohome.com.cn/news/200909/69481.html. Retrieved 2010-03-30. (Chinese)
- ↑ 章宁 (Zhang Ning) (腾讯汽车 (Tencent Qiche)) (2010-06-02). "下半年上市 一汽森雅S80无伪装谍照曝光". Autohome.com.cn. http://www.autohome.com.cn/news/201006/117629.html. Retrieved 2010-07-07. (Chinese)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i". Astra Daihatsu. http://xenia.co.id/specifications/.
- ↑ "Daihatsu & Toyota Announce Dual-model Debut for Indonesia". Daihatsu.com. 2003-12-11. http://www.daihatsu.com/news/n2003/03121101/. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ↑ "Daihatsu 2010 Annual report". Daihatsu Motor Co.. http://www.daihatsu.com/ir/library/pdf/annual10.pdf.
- ↑ "Xenia-Avanza Generasi Kedua Siap Ulang Sukses". November 7, 2011. http://www.mediaindonesia.com/mediaoto/index.php/read/2011/11/07/3456/2/Xenia-Avanza-Generasi-Kedua-Siap-Ulang-Sukses.
- ↑ "Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i, More Elegant, More Luxury, and More Powerful". Daihatsu.com. 2006-07-12. http://www.daihatsu.com/news/n2006/06071201/. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ↑ "New Models from the 2010 Guangzhou Auto Show (4): FAW Xenia (Senya) S80". ChinaAutoWeb.com. http://chinaautoweb.com/2010/12/new-models-from-the-2010-guangzhou-auto-show-4-faw-xenia-senya-s80/.
- ↑ Nice, Karim (2000-08-23). "Howstuffworks article on ABS". Auto.howstuffworks.com. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ↑ "2012 Avanza and Avanza Veloz launched in Indonesia". Motorindustry.org. 2011-11-12. http://www.motorindustry.org/2011/11/12/2012-avanza-and-avanza-veloz-launched-in-indonesia/. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- ↑ "Toyota Avanza 2012: Nih, Beda tipe 1.3 dan 1.5 (Indonesian only)". DapurPacu.com. 2011-10-07. http://www.dapurpacu.com/toyota-avanza-2012-nih-beda-tipe-1-3-dan-1-5/.
- ↑ "Toyota Motors Philippines - avanza". Toyota.com.ph. 2012-01-13. http://toyota.com.ph/cars/new_cars/avanza_tmp_2006/index.asp.
- ↑ "TopGear Philippines". TopGear Philippines. 2012-01-13. http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/toyota-launches-all-new-avanza. Retrieved 2011-01-13.